Sunday, June 05, 2011

The Ideal Patron

Sometimes the public library reference desk can still thrill me. Small boy, 7 or 8, comes up to reference desk with his father. He had been in the children's room, but they suggested he needed to go upstairs for reference help. So there he was, the small boy, with his father. Small boy tells me he needs the Encyclopedia of Cryptozoology. I didn't even know we had an Encyclopedia of Cryptozoology, but this small boy was sure we did. His father looked bewildered. As it happens I had purchased the Encyclopedia of Cryptozoology: a global guide to hidden animals and their pursuers by Michael Newton. The small boy was besides himself with delight as I handed him the book, which was a pretty big book for a pretty small boy. Then his father told him it was a reference book, which meant it couldn't go home. Small boy looks unhappy. I couldn't let that stand ... of course you can take the book home. Happy boy. Happy father. Happy reference librarian.

It is one of the mysteries of collection development. Did I know that boy would be in my reference room one day looking for a book on cryptozoology? No I did not, but I sure was delighted that it was there yesterday! I have no doubt there are many fine web sources for cryptozoology, but why should a small boy have to troll the web to find his heart's desire? A book with which he can sleep if he so wishes.

1 Comments:

Blogger thecapecardamom said...

Truly an "ideal" moment for the MLIS student who witnessed that very interaction! I think we both had tears in our eyes after he and his Dad walked away! In fact, did you not once write about how "reference librarians change lives and open minds in a moment?" (...for "ideal patrons" and "ideal"-ist future librarians alike!)

Great blog!

August 23, 2012 at 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home